I can remember being a child and my Mom would make her famous sweet & sour meatballs for dinner. It was something the whole family enjoyed. It even came down to needing to count out the meatballs before cooking them to make sure everyone ate the same amount.
If for some reason we didn’t eat all of our dinner, we would put the left overs in the fridge in individual containers and to be 100% honest, we would write our names on the containers. If you got caught trying to eat what wasn’t yours, man did you get in trouble! We were that serious about this sweet & sour meatball recipe!
This recipe has a few select ingredients, actually super simple, but it does take a little bit of time to prepare. It is a homemade meatball recipe after all!
Ingredients for Meatballs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion
- Salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all meatball ingredients together in one large bowl. Do not over mix.
- Roll out meatballs. (I typically end up with about 60 in total with this recipe)
- Heat frying pan and brown your meatballs on all sides.
- Place all browned meatballs in an oven safe baking pan.
- In another large bowl mix all of your sweet & sour sauce ingredients together.
- Pour sauce mixture over meatballs.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour in a 350 degree oven; or until the sauce thicken.
This recipe is absolutely delicious. I cannot wait to cook it again. I choose to place a bed of rice on a plate and cover the rice with meatballs and lots of sauce. If you’re the kind of person that likes it saucier, make 1 1/4 of the sauce recipe for more!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one of my affiliate links and make a purchase, I may receive a commission for referring you.